November 2, 2018
Career Opportunity: GGC Executive Director
Grain Growers of Canada is a rejuvenated organization that is eager to continue to grow its historical influence in the development and improvement of agricultural national policy. Grain Growers of Canada has a new vision to become the most effective agriculture lobby organization in Canada by committing itself to the resources and support to do so. Devoted to representing farmers’ interests, Grain Growers of Canada, is committed to creating a policy environment that allows farmers to flourish and be competitive. As a part of that commitment, Grain Growers of Canada actively collaborates with the agricultural value chain including seed developers, chemical and fertilizer companies, grain handlers, exporters, food processors, and retailers.
The new Executive Director will have full authority to execute the strategic direction and priorities of the Board. In addition, the Executive Director will be expected to provide creative leadership into the advocacy strategies of Grain Growers of Canada. Specific accountabilities include:
- improving Grain Growers of Canada’s presence and influence with government and stakeholders through advocacy, proactively developing consensus with members on key policies, and reaching out to other stakeholders;
- communicating the value of the organization’s policies and activities to members, farmers and other stakeholders;
- developing effective relations with the media, agricultural research-based organizations, academia and farmer communities;
- preparing and executing tactics to ensure the appropriate spokespersons are equipped and available including being the day-to-day spokesperson for the organization; and
- overseeing all the resources, people and financial matters of the organization.
Candidates for this role must have a proven record of leadership in creating and driving successful government advocacy strategies in Canada on topics relevant to agriculture. The successful candidate is equally comfortable in delving into detailed policy discussions as in meeting with members of the federal cabinet. Your passion about representing farmers motivates you to seek out opportunities to both understand on-farm realities and to influence federal policy that affects them. The ability to bring diverse interests together with a collaborative leadership style is essential. Bilingualism is an asset.
The position is located in Ottawa.
Please respond by sending your resume to George Toner at email@example.com or call at 416-727-4851. Expressions of interest will be considered until November 16, 2018.